I still have some fun photos from Bangkok to post but I want to move on...the first few days and weeks here in Pune have been so full, so I'd better get started.
It is extraordinarily difficult to concentrate, what with the temptation to go see what Guruji is up to, and with all the activity around. I am not prepared mentally to practice, but I manage to pull it together and run through the standing poses, do some seated and supine poses and then headstand and shoulder stand. Each person is in his or her own practice. There is no space unspoken for, so if one gets up and goes to the trestler or the rope wall, one is likely to find someone has taken your mat upon your return, or at the very least, your props are gone! Tahsha and I are trying to watch out for one another.
My schedule
As a first-timer, I am given the same schedule as all the other first time women. Senior teachers and those who have been to the Institute before get a different schedule. The two hour classes are Monday through Saturday, and we have a 2 or 3 hour practice time each day…sometimes the hall is open earlier and we can get a longer practice in.
M/T: 7 am with Prashant Iyengar…practice 9-12
W: 9:30 Ladies only with Abhijata (more on her later) and Practice 4-6
Th: Practice 9-12 and 5:30 Pranayama
F: Practice 9-12 and 6-8 pm with Gheeta!
S: 9:30 Ladies only with Abhi and practice 4-6
January
1, 2012
Wow…so here I am. India.
At the Mumbai airport. With the dulcet tones
of Kenny G’s Christmas music playing over the audio system. Outside, I
find the driver and my roommate, Tahsha, and off we go. We arrive safely in Pune 4 hours later, and
by safe I mean no small children or entire families on scooters were maimed or
killed en route, although at times I had to shut my eyes for fear that a
collision was imminent! My youngest, who spent a few weeks here this
summer, had warned me about the driving and she was not exaggerating. Lanes are merely a suggestion. Honking replaces signaling, so it is constant, and passing…well,
let’s just say it’s not for weak of heart.
After unloading the bags in the
apartment, we head out to find groceries, armed with a rudimentary map. Most everything we need is close by and we
find the shopkeepers charming and accommodating. Each store on the adjacent street is about 8 feet wide and 10 - 15 feet deep. There is no door.
You approach the counter and let the shopkeeper know what you are
looking for and he either has it or he doesn't. Nothing has prices, but the
shopkeeper magically knows what each item costs and writes out a receipt. Each store has different
specialties…photocopies, small electronics and light bulbs, dry grocer, an
ironing service, a snack/newspaper kiosk, etc.
Fruits and veggies are purchased on the street at a cart or a permanent
stand, and weighed with an old fashioned scale and weights. We don’t really try to bargain as the prices
seem very cheap to us. More on that
later. We come home from this trip with
loads of fruit and other groceries that will get us through the next few
breakfasts at a minimum.
We head out for the first of many memorable, delicious and incredibly inexpensive vegetarian meals. Dinner the first night costs us about $5 each...and we have enough left overs for lunch the next day.
January
2, 2012 - THE Institute!
The next morning we are giddy and a bit nervous as we head out, through a beautiful park, find
RIMYI and go inside to the reception area.
It’s a bit like old home week for the returnees and senior
teachers. Already I see the familiar
faces of senior teachers with whom I’ve studied as well as faces from
home: Heather, Birgit, and of course my
roomie, Tahsha. We greet Pandu, the
“COO”, who shoes us off to practice.
We’ll settle our account with him later.
We make our way up to the surprisingly quiet practice hall. I say surprising because the lore
of wall-to-wall mats becomes a reality.
We find some real estate, grab a few props, but before we can even
begin, there is a murmur of excitement from the stairwell. One of the American senior teachers runs in,
making a path by moving props and mats out of the way, and in walks Guruji
himself! As he makes his way across the
hall, students bow with their hands in Anjali mudra, and some come right up to
him, get down on their knees and touch his feet. He pauses ever so briefly to receive these
greetings, and then settles into his spot near the prop room where he begins
HIS practice, attended by folks I don’t yet know. The senior teachers practice near him. From what I can observe at my spot far across
the hall, his practice is primarily long-held (20-30 minutes each) supported or
hanging poses. He stays the full 3
hours.
It is extraordinarily difficult to concentrate, what with the temptation to go see what Guruji is up to, and with all the activity around. I am not prepared mentally to practice, but I manage to pull it together and run through the standing poses, do some seated and supine poses and then headstand and shoulder stand. Each person is in his or her own practice. There is no space unspoken for, so if one gets up and goes to the trestler or the rope wall, one is likely to find someone has taken your mat upon your return, or at the very least, your props are gone! Tahsha and I are trying to watch out for one another.
My schedule
As a first-timer, I am given the same schedule as all the other first time women. Senior teachers and those who have been to the Institute before get a different schedule. The two hour classes are Monday through Saturday, and we have a 2 or 3 hour practice time each day…sometimes the hall is open earlier and we can get a longer practice in.
M/T: 7 am with Prashant Iyengar…practice 9-12
W: 9:30 Ladies only with Abhijata (more on her later) and Practice 4-6
Th: Practice 9-12 and 5:30 Pranayama
F: Practice 9-12 and 6-8 pm with Gheeta!
S: 9:30 Ladies only with Abhi and practice 4-6

That sounds so intense! Aren't you get wiped out by so much practice? Or isn't that how yoga works? Can you take a picture of the practice room? I'm really curious how it looks with all those body parts in odd positions!
ReplyDeleteDone! I don't feel wiped out all all, though some days are harder than others for sure. I feel inspired and grateful to be able to be here in this rarefied (if polluted) air.
Delete