Just when I was feeling so much
at home here, my time has to come to an end. While I love going abroad, what I
love more is feeling AT HOME when I am abroad. Sure, in the beginning it is
just finding your way around and coping with different environmental factors
(the biggest challenge for me here was noise and air pollution – but the
weather, which is not unlike summer in Los Altos was divine), learning how to navigate
the neighborhoods, how to bargain and get locals’ prices for even the smallest
things like a few pieces of fruit, how to greet people, how to get things done,
and how to read body language.
On that latter note, one of the
first body language things that confused me was the Indian head shake. On my first day, a question to a local
vendor elicited a side-to-side, quick head wobble in the same plane as the
shoulders: Was that “Not sure?”,
“Maybe?”, “Yes?”, “No?” To be sure I asked the question again, and it
SEEMED to mean, “yes”, but I still had my doubts. Sure enough, as the days and weeks passed, I
saw the head wobble as a sign of acknowledgement or understanding, as
ubiquitous as the American head nod. I think.
The next thing that was
challenging was English, both understanding and being understood. While it is
clearly widely spoken here (although each state has it’s own language – 22 of
which are officially in the constitution), the accents and word choices were
different enough to require me to listen with concentration. One night, when my roomie and I were hoping to get an
auto rickshaw home, we repeated our destination and the local landmark
3 or 4 times, but still the driver seemed perplexed. Suddenly I had a thought: I’ve always been pretty good at imitating
accents (just ask my children - I do a mean Hagrid), so I tried saying it with an
Indian English accent. Terrible, right? But, don't laugh...much to my roomie's amazement the driver wobbled his head in
understanding and indicated that we should climb in. Note to self:
learn more of the local language for the next visit. Also, practice head wobble.
To wrap things up, I took a three-day weekend to the next state
down. Goa reminds me a bit of Hawaii in
its landscape and it’s more laid back feel.
From 1510 until 1961, this state was a held as a Portuguese colony, and one
clearly gets that picture from the Christian names, the cathedrals and churches,
and distinctive architecture.
![]() |
| The fabulous Heather |
Fellow yogini, Heather and I
stayed in a hotel built adjacent to the site of Fort Aguada which guards the
coast at the mouth of the Mandovi River.
We had a splendid view of one of the ramparts from our room. A little beach walking, hill climbing, yoga
practice and dining were about all we could muster our first day.
![]() |
| The practice space was divine. |
The second day included a little touring passed rice paddies, the capital Panaji, and a spice farm. Mostly, we couldn't wait to get back to our beautiful resort and just hang out, read and take walks.
![]() |
| Organic Spice Farm |
![]() | |||||
In addition to nutmeg, pepper, cinnamon, curry leaves, cardamom, betel
nut, chilis, allspice and mace, Savoi grew tropical fruits like
starfruit, papaya, pineapple, bananas, coconut and jackfruit. Best papaya I ever ate...
Signing off for now. Thanks for coming along on my Asian ride. Next visit here, January 2014!







No comments:
Post a Comment