These caves date from 200 BC to approximately 600 AD. These next few shots illustrate the level of detail:
There are significant remnants of the original paintings on the ceilings and walls, which remained well preserved because the cliffs became overgrown with vegetation and weren't discovered until 1819. Paints were made from local minerals and animal glue. Flash photography was not permitted and there was very low light inside so I have only a few examples of what it looked like inside some of the temples. I wasn't able to get any of the enormous Buddhas which were deep in the recesses of each of the temples.
![]() |
| This one was under the eaves and there was enough light.... |
Most of the visitors were Indian or of other Asian persuasion. I saw only a handful of westerners. It turns out that folks were as interested in me as I was in them. I was approached by a number of people who wanted me to take their photograph and show it to them, and then wanted to have their photo taken with me! It was very sweet!
And finally, there was the wildlife....









No comments:
Post a Comment