Jeff asked after my first post, “What do I
smell?” which gave me the idea that I should paint a
picture of what it is like to live and practice here.
Let me say upfront that coming to Pune for a
month is a HUGE gift – to myself and for my students – and I’ll share another
post about the nature of the classes and practice time. Fundamentally, however, it is challenging for
those of us who like fresh air – and who doesn’t?
Now, you might be imagining a yoga retreat in
a tropical and quiet urban oasis, and I IMAGINE that it was like that when the
Iyengars first built their home and the Institute in the ‘70s.
Today this area, called Model Colony, is
bustling with traffic. There are
remnants of beautiful old mansion properties and highly stylized modern ones
amidst older, slightly crumbling structures, newer apartment buildings and
abandoned properties. Several
universities are nearby, and modern shopping enterprises reside side by side
with specialty “mom and pop” shacks along the sides of roads -- major and minor
--selling anything from ironing services and holy day flower chains to fresh fruit, kitchen
wares, groceries, breakfast and chai.
The Institute driveway itself is nicely landscaped with plants and trees which does make it greener in a sea of concrete buildings, but whether in class, practice or observation, it's impossible to escape the sounds and smells of the traffic as the windows are all open. The many overhead fans in the hall keep the air moving which helps a bit.
Most of us who come to study here live in the
neighborhood of the Institute. Our days
start early, with a 2-hour class at 7 am three days a week, followed
immediately by a 3-hour practice. Two days
there is a 2-3-hour class at 9:30 am with a long break until a late afternoon
practice. And one day a week we
practice first, and then have an evening pranayama class. My flat mates and I leave at 6:30 to walk to
the Institute, and at that hour the air is fairly cool and the pollution is sometimes noticeable, BUT, we only have about 5 blocks of traffic to walk in as we can
walk through this delightful park.
Sadly for our lungs, the park is closed from
11-4, so we negotiate our way home through busy streets like this one:
Once home our apartment host’s chef makes us
a delicious and healthy lunch from the veggies and beans she has
shopped for the day before.
We then either study, take care of errands
and rest before returning to the Institute for either a late afternoon or
evening class or an opportunity to watch other classes taught for locals
including the Medical Class.
Unfortunately, we can’t count on walking home through the park at night,
so our trip home looks like this:
I DID notice that Sunday’s air quality was noticeably better as folks are hanging out with family and there is less traffic. We have no classes or practice that day, so it’s a great day to head to the park for walks in the morning.
My flatmate, Farnaz, enjoying the cleanish park air with me
Another day, I'll share a bit about what the classes have been like and a few photos from the institute.



Those of you getting the blog by email will note a big black block in the middle of this last post. Those are imbedded videos, and I don't know how to fix that in the email, but they work on the web site.
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing your blog, Rosie. I have always been curious about India and it's fun to read about it from someone I actually know. I hope your time there is energizing and fulfilling in every way. -- Helen Netos
ReplyDeleteThanks, Helen. I'm learning so much in classes and can't wait to begin to share it bit by bit when I'm back. Get ready! :-)
DeleteThanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDelete