Monday, November 25, 2019

Lost In Practice: Part 2

It's Monday of the final week here at the Institute, and as many of you know, that means Pranayama! I know this will be a very rich week, so I will wait and share some highlights in my next post.  

In the meantime, let's continue the exploration of being "Lost" in Practice.  Following an interesting and  delicious pranayama class with Prashant this morning, I decided that I would practice at home instead of in the big hall.  My place is on the 5th floor, with doors opening to a patio in the canopy of beautiful trees.  A light breeze floats in along with the squawks of parakeets and vrooms of rickshaw and scooter motors.  

On my walk home through the park from class, I decided I would do a Tick-Tock (timed) practice of supported standing and seated forward bends.  I gave myself just two criteria: 



Stay three minutes per pose or per side of a two-sided pose.

Estimate and create support before starting the timer so that I could stay in the pose without fussing.  


The sequence got off to a fine start, and having my little timer tell me when it was time to come out made it easy to just surrender into the pose, exploring what needed to be done, exploring the breath, exploring the space in the body...but from time to time, the mind wondered...is it time yet?   In those moments, I recalled Sunita extolling us in Saturday's backbend class:  


"When the mind is telling you it's time to come out, THAT'S when the pose begins."



At the end of the seated forward bends, I opted to extend my stay in the final three poses. All in all, it felt well-timed, well-supported and the sthira and sukha in the body, breath and mind was palpable as I put away my props.  




Now...off you go,Tick Tock! 

Virasana
Resting the top of the hamstrings on the heels
Adho Mukha Svanasana
Crown of head supported
Uttanasana Concave feet apart
Hands on blocks to work on the legs and the dorsal, palms flat so that the upper trapezius could be more relaxed.
Uttanasana Feet apart
Crown of the head supported
Hands blocks to help take arms to the sides to lift shoulder blades
Virasana
Resting the top of the hamstrings on the heels
Padangusthasana -
Head supported
Parsvottanasana hands down
Head supported on soft block on shin at first, then forehead to shin
Virasana
Resting the top of the hamstrings on the heels
Prasarita Padottanasana
Head supported on floor
Sirsasana
Eyes closed
Paschimottanasana legs apart
Janu Sirsasana
Trianga Mukhaikapada Paschimottanasana
Ardha Baddha Pada Paschimottanasana
Adho Mukha Swastikasana
Adho Mukha Virasana
All with head and arms supported to relax the trapezius.  Keep the legs active enough…
Salamba Sarvangasna
10 minutes
Supported Ardha Halasana
5 minutes
Paschimottanasana
5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning to Exhale - Pranayama Week

Flying home on the 2 nd of three flights, I am engrossed in a movie (I’ll watch ANYTHING with Colin Firth) when I am pulled a...