Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tuk-Tuk, chug-chug


To get around in the near vicinity, one negotiates a rate with a motor scooter-powered taxi…think side car for four.  



Our driver did a great job getting us to the far side of the island to Old Town Lanta with numerous sightings of monkeys, egret, and livestock by the side of the road.    We were, understandably, quite a load to take both up and down the hills the island, and on our return trip, our young driver politely inquired whether we preferred to take a longer, flatter road home, or the same road….in which case he would need to take only two of us at a time up the steep central road!   We opted for the longer ride and were treated to more of the beautiful groves of palms and bananas and many monkey sightings.  No photos...you'll just have to take my word for it.

The tourist industry seems to be the main source of support for the local economy, and the difference between the two is stark as our trip on local roads reinforced.  Many things are super inexpensive for the western traveler, and we had plenty of opportunity to practice our bargaining skills.  Thai massage for example, was $10-12 for an hour long massage.  I had one nearly every day, including a few down by the beach.  They can be more "pricey" at the resorts and in big cities, and they can even be as low as $5 an hour in street shops here and in the bigger cities.  Sophie bought a pair of nice flip flops for $3 and I found a gorgeous pair of Thai wrap pants for $8...I suspect my Thai-savvy friends will tell me I paid too much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning to Exhale - Pranayama Week

Flying home on the 2 nd of three flights, I am engrossed in a movie (I’ll watch ANYTHING with Colin Firth) when I am pulled a...